Thursday, July 24, 2014

My Favorite Artworks at Augustinerkirche, Vienna

The Augustinerkirche (Augustinian Church) was built in the 14th century as the parish church of the imperial court of with the Gothic interior added in the 18th century.

The most impressive artwork was a tome sculpture designed by the renown Italian sculptor Antonio Canova, for Archduchess Maria Christina of Austria - in his typical neoclassical style - pyramidal shaped, with clear and clean delineation, and delicately modeled figures.  The atmosphere it created was somber, sorrowful and soaringly lyrical.

DSCN1769 _ Augustinerkirche

DSCN1752 _ Archduchess Maria Christina Tome by Antonio Canova, Augustinerkirche


Archduchess Maria Christina Tome by Antonio Canova, Augustinerkirche, Wien

My second favorite work there was a strangely painted skeleton, surrounded by beautiful decorative borders. This frank depiction of death and decay gave viewers no catholic comfort, yet it was not devoid of any tranquility, a kind of knowing acceptance, which was the grace we all hope to have when it's our time to take our leave.

DSCN1758 _ Augustinerkirche

My Favorite Museum Collection Series
>> My Favorite Museum Collection Series 88: My Favorite Sculptures at Stephansdom (St. Stephen's Cathedral), Vienna
<< My Favorite Museum Collection Series 86: My Favorite Artworks in Votivkirche, Vienna

List of My Favorite Artworks in the Museums I've Visited


Other Related posts on Art · 文化 · Kunst:
- Magnificent Churches in Vienna
- My Favorite Paintings at Akademie der bildenden Künste Wien
- My Favorite Paintings at Kunsthistorisches Museum, Wien (Vienna)
- Gustav Klimt and Egon Schiele in Wien (Vienna)
- Liaoning (Proving) Museum in Shenyang
- Basilica Santuario Santo Stefano, Bologna
- My Favorite Sculptures at Cimetière du Père-Lachaise, Paris
- My Favorite Sculptures in Cimetière de Montmartre, Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment