Banpo Archaeological Site Museum, Xi'an, China featured one of the earliest civilizations originated in China, in the Yellow River Valley, and it showcased many ancient artifacts remarkable not only for historical values, but the refined beauty belying their primitive and humble origins.
One such wonder was "A basin with abstracted fish design", whose rich earthy red tone was a thing of great beauty, and the black line drawing geometrical design of fish in multiple variations and arrangements was amazingly accomplished and startlingly modern.
A basin with abstracted fish design
Contrasting to the serious tone of the abstract fish pattern above, "A basin bearing the pattern of human face and fish" had a humorous conflation image of a human face and a pair of triangular fish, sticking out like exaggerated beards. A clown? A dragoon? Fascinating.
A basin bearing the pattern of human face and fish
My Favorite Museum Collection Series
>> My Favorite Museum Collection Series 134: My Favorite Sculptures at Terracotta Army Site, Xi'an
<< My Favorite Museum Collection Series 132: My Favorite Sculptural Artifacts in Sanxingdui, Guanghan, Deyang, Sichuan, China
List of My Favorite Artworks in the Museums I've Visited
Other Related posts on Art · 文化 · Kunst:
- Ruins in Sanxingdui (Three-Star Mound) and Jinsha (Gold Sands), Sichuan, China
- Treasure in Liaoning Museum, Shenyang, China
- Art Gallery of Luxun Art Academy in Shenyang, China
- Visiting Four Universities in Austria and Italy
- Sunflower Seeds by Ai Weiwei at Tate Modern, London
- My Favorite Sculptures at Institut für Klassische Archäologie, Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz
- My Favorite Sculptures at Musei Civici degli Eremitani, Padova (Padua)