Friday, September 5, 2014

My Favorite Sculptures at Institut für Klassische Archäologie, Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz


DSCN9102 _ Universität Graz, 9 October

As I reported shortly after my trip to Graz in 2012, I was delighted by my visit to Institut für Klassische Archäologie at Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz, for its collections of many classical Roman and Greek marble sculptures and reliefs.  According to the university, "the Institute is home to significant archaeological collections of ancient vases of Greece, objects from local sites as well as casts of ancient sculptures."

There were many beautiful sculptures to admire, many of the had incredible ethereal beauty in their wonderfully proportioned forms and polished details, such as these works below:

DSCN9113 _ Universität Graz, Graz, 9 October

DSCN9137 _ Institut für Klassische Archäologie, Universität Graz, 9 October

DSCN9149 _ Institut für Klassische Archäologie, Universität Graz, 9 October

Yet, pressed, I had to name the Niobe below as my favorite - it was not the most polished piece to behold and the deliberately clumsy posture of the grief-stricken queen was rather ungainly, yet more moving for that.  What moved me most were her stunned facial expression and the terrified face of her little daughter clinging to her, trying desperately to avoid the fury of the gods, who had just killed all her eleven siblings, provoked by the boasting, now belatedly repenting Niobe, a moving subject also propelled me to make an abstract installation last year.

DSCN9209 _ Institut für Klassische Archäologie, Universität Graz, 9 October

My second favorite was a huge head of a noble horse, with its lean bones, fiery eyes and flaring nostrils, looked supremely eloquent and elegant:

DSCN9152 _ Institut für Klassische Archäologie, Universität Graz, 9 October

My Favorite Museum Collection Series
>> My Favorite Museum Collection Series 93: My Favorite Altar Pieces at Mariahilferkirche, Graz
<< My Favorite Museum Collection Series 91: My Favorite Paintings at Neue Galerie, Graz, Austria

List of My Favorite Artworks in the Museums I've Visited

Other Related posts on Art · 文化 · Kunst:
- Visiting Four Universities in Austria and Italy
- Blanton Museum of Art, The University of Texas at Austin
- Kroeber Hall, University of California, Berkeley
- Art Exhibit at University Health Services
- Richard L. Feigen Collection and Yale University Art Gallery
- Rodin and Richard Serra in Cantor Arts Center, Stanford University
- Inside Richard Serra's Sculpture "Sequence" at Cantor Arts Center, Stanford University

No comments:

Post a Comment