Saturday, September 13, 2014

My Favorite Altar Pieces at Mariahilferkirche, Graz


DSCN8692 _ Mariahilferkirche, Graz, 8 October DSCN8705 _ Mariahilferkirche, Graz, 8 October

DSCN8704 _ Mariahilferkirche, Graz, 8 October

DSCN8710 _ Mariahilferkirche, Graz, 8 October

There are many interesting churches in Graz and one of them I visited in 2012, Mariahilferkirche and cloister, impressed me very much with its startling altar pieces.

DSCN8693 _ Mariahilferkirche, Graz, 8 October

The most striking one was an altar of Pietà, whose particularity was that there was a sword piercing into Maria's breast.  It was a very disturbing and moving image and hard to forget.

DSCN8700 _ Mariahilferkirche, Graz, 8 October

I happened to have seen quite a few similar images during that trip; in the very same church, on the side wall, I also saw this standing alone Maria pierced by a sword.  In other church, I even saw a Maria pierced by seven swords!

DSCN8701 _ Mariahilferkirche, Graz, 8 October

The second favorite altar in Mariahilferkirche featured a dead scene of a saint, perhaps, Maria. 

DSCN8696 _ Mariahilferkirche, Graz, 8 October

The strong contrast between the splendidly colorful angel and the bleached dying Maria were very striking, and their postures echoed each other, and formed a broad and comforting embrace.  Very moving.

DSCN8696m _ Mariahilferkirche, Graz, 8 October (detail)


My Favorite Museum Collection Series
>> My Favorite Museum Collection Series 94: My Favorite Artworks at Stadtpfarrkirche zum Hl. Blut, Graz
<< My Favorite Museum Collection Series 92: My Favorite Sculptures at Institut für Klassische Archäologie, Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz

List of My Favorite Artworks in the Museums I've Visited

Other Related posts on Art · 文化 · Kunst:
- Magnificent Churches in Vienna
- Basilica Santuario Santo Stefano, Bologna
- San Giorgio Maggiore, Il Redentore, Scuola e Chise Grande di San Rocco, Venezia
- My Favorite Paintings at Église Saint-Sulpice, Paris
- My Favorite Art Works at Santa Maria Novella, Firenze
- Basilica di San Petronio and San Domenico in Bologna

No comments:

Post a Comment