Saturday, October 1, 2016

My Favorite Calligraphy and Monument at Great Mosque of Xi'an, China


Great Mosque of Xi'an, China _ IMG_5300

There is a Great Mosque in Xi'an, China, though the main buildings had distinctive flavor of Chinese architecture, amidst Arab characteristics.

I loved a group of wooden scrolls hanging by the entrances to the main hall - gold-filled calligraphy carvings on blackened wood had a pleasing contrast and each character looked like a finely composed picture, perfectly balanced and centered, and full of flowing beauty.  Even the chipping of the black paints became well-integrated elements of the larger canvas.

Great Mosque of Xi'an, China _ IMG_5312

Grand Mosque, Xi'an, China _5311

I also liked very much a pavilion protecting a stele. The basic structure of the pavilion was Chinese, but the decorative abstract motifs were Arab; yet there were figures in the relief, and they looked typical Chinese!

Grand Mosque, Xi'an, China _ IMG_5764

Grand Mosque, Xi'an, China _ IMG_5763

Detail of a Pavilion, Grand Mosque, Xi'an, China (detail) _ IMG_5764_m

My Favorite Museum Collection Series
>> My Favorite Museum Collection Series 137:  My Favorite Sculptures at Han Yangling (Han Dynasty Yang Tomb) in Xianyang, Shaanxi, China
<< My Favorite Museum Collection Series 135: My Favoritate Bronze Artifacts at Shaanxi History Museum, Xi'an, China

List of My Favorite Artworks in the Museums I've Visited

Other Related posts on Art · 文化 · Kunst:
- Last Chance to See Terracotta Warriors in San Francisco Asian Art Museum
- Ruins in Sanxingdui (Three-Star Mound) and Jinsha (Gold Sands), Sichuan, China
- Treasure in Liaoning Museum, Shenyang, China
- Art Gallery of Luxun Art Academy in Shenyang, China
- Visiting Four Universities in Austria and Italy
- Sunflower Seeds by Ai Weiwei at Tate Modern, London
- My Favorite Sculptures at Institut für Klassische Archäologie, Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz
- My Favorite Sculptures at Musei Civici degli Eremitani, Padova (Padua)

No comments:

Post a Comment