Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My Favorite Works at De Young Museum, San Francisco

Today, I visited De Young Museum in San Francisco for the King Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of Pharaohs exhibit. It was a fantastic show, despite the fact that the most spectacular beautifully inlaid gold mask of the young king, who died at the age of 19, was not included in the current exhibit of these artifacts. Some old timers had the luck of viewing it when the show came to San Francisco decades ago. I cannot say that I was cheated out of something. It was a very beautiful and stimulating exhibit. You can still catch the show before it ends on 28 March, 2010.

I chose to visit the museum after New Year, and in the afternoon, to avoid holiday crowds and school kids. Therefore I was able to view the objects at a measured pace and spent two and half hours there.

Before my timed visit started, I visited De Young Museum's contemporary painting collections and saw quite a few my favorite paintings and sculpture, such as these:





















































































































































De Young Museum will bring masterpieces by impressionists (Birth of Impressionism) and post-impressionists (Van Gogh, Gauguin, Cézanne and Beyond) from Musée d'Orsay of Paris when it's under renovation. Impressionists exhibit will be on display from 22 May to 6 September while post-impressionists exhibit starts in 25 September and will end in 18 January 2011. I cannot wait to see these works again, hopefully, I'll be able to visit both exhibits more than once.

No comments:

Post a Comment