Sunday, July 29, 2012

Rooftop Vegetable Garden in Shenyang, China


Rooftop Vegetable Garden _ 9414 Rooftop Vegetable Garden _ 0431

Rooftop Vegetable Garden _ 0814

When I visited my parents in May this year, I was quite impressed by my father's rooftop vegetable garden.  Well, it was not really rooftop but I don't have a better word for that.  The vegetable garden was on a balcony, connected to the loft level of their three bedroom flat.

There were strawberries, tomatoes, beans, cucumbers, green onions, lettuces and other vegetables and fruits on the balcony, lovely arranged in various pots and boxes, with obvious care. 

Rooftop Vegetable Garden _ 0813

Rooftop Vegetable Garden _ 9867

Rooftop Vegetable Garden _ 9869 Rooftop Vegetable Garden _ 0811
Rooftop Vegetable Garden _ 9891 Rooftop Vegetable Garden _ 0432
Rooftop Vegetable Garden _ 9894 Rooftop Vegetable Garden _ 0819

I was quite impressed by the bounty - when I was a kid, I did grow corns for fun but they were very small and not really edible, largely due to lacking fertilizer.  It's mid-summer now and I hope my parents are enjoying the fresh vegetables from their own garden.

Rooftop Vegetable Garden _ 9871

Rooftop Vegetable Garden _ 8921

The garden was not only useful but visually appealing as well, particularly with the ever-changing light.

Rooftop Vegetable Garden _ 0809

Rooftop Vegetable Garden _ 9405

Rooftop Vegetable Garden _ 9412



Label: Shenyang, Shenyang Trip 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment