Saturday, June 7, 2014

My Favorite Sculptures in Cathédrale Notre Dame de Paris

Whenever Cathédrale Notre Dame de Paris was mentioned, one often thinks of the fantastic gargoyles on the rooftop and the rose windows above the portals, justifiably so.  Yet, despite all those famous objects, and the holy artifacts in the treasury, I would cite the below two sculptures as my favorite from the cathedral.

My first favorite was a bronze equestrian statue of Charlemagne, weather beaten, hollow looking yet undeniably grand, dominating the side plaza.  The green patina interwove with dark sooty patches, adding senses of history to this marvelous sculpture.

IMG_8227 _ Cathédrale Notre Dame de Paris, 2008
Equestrian Statue of Charlemagne

My second favorite was one of the many figures by one of the portals to the cathedral, centering on the patron saint Denis of Paris, who was the third century Bishop of Paris and was martyred shortly after 250 AD. According to legend, after his beheading, he picked up his head and walked ten kilometres (six miles) and preached a sermon during his final voyage.

Saint Denis, along with other figures, including two winged angels, stood on pedestals supported by strange beasts and figures, looked quite serene, with their flowing draperies, in their simplistic lines, like the creations of master draftsman, formed a memorable but not ungainly sight for this ghastly story.

IMG_8242 _ Cathédrale Notre Dame de Paris, 2008
Saint Denis and Angels

My Favorite Museum Collection Series
>> My Favorite Museum Collection Series 80: My Favorite Paintings at Albertina Museum, Vienna
<< My Favorite Museum Collection Series 78: My Favorite Sculptures in Église de Saint-Germain-des-Prés

List of My Favorite Artworks in the Museums I've Visited  


Other Related posts on Art · 文化 · Kunst:
- My Favorite Sculptures in Basilique Saint-Denis (Paris)
- My Favorite Paintings at Église Saint-Sulpice, Paris
- Magnificent Churches in Vienna
- My Favorite Sculpture and Painting at Church of Our Lady, Bruges
- My Favorite Paintings in Cathedral of Our Lady, Antwerp (Antwerpen), Belgium
- Architectural Wonder - the Cathedral of Christ the Light in Oakland

No comments:

Post a Comment