Thursday, May 29, 2014

My Favorite Sculptures in Église de Saint-Germain-des-Prés

IMG_8089, Église de Saint-Germain-des-Prés, ParisThe ancient abbey, Église de Saint-Germain-des-Prés, founded in the 6th century, was one of the most revered institutions in Paris, both as religious site and a cultural landmark in the Latin Quarter.

I was lucky enough to have stayed in its vicinity in my two trips to Paris, and have visited and walked by its imposing structure many times.  If the building itself was more eye-catching, many sculptures in the dimly-lit interior and in the modesty garden were more enchanting - seemingly neglected, abandoned, even damaged, which however, perversely created a certain authentic gloomy charm, which far preferable than a restoration à la Las Vegas. 

My favorite sculpture there was an outdoor high relief in a semi-deserted garden, depicting a shepherd on the left, leaning against a rock, long staff in hand, in a casual pose, facing a rather rigid looking maiden or matron, standing at the far right.  If there were three women in the group, I'd say that it was the Judgement of Paris.  With only one woman or goddess present, therefore, I couldn't determine what the story was.  Looking closer, it seemed to me that the woman was judging the shepherd.  Perhaps, the story ought to be from the Bible, instead of my bible, the Greek mythology? 

IMG_8108, Église de Saint-Germain-des-Prés, Paris

My second favorite sculpture was doubtless about Virgin Mary and the Child, in a small niche altar inside the dark interior.  I loved its simplicity and purity, which practically shone in the midst of the semi-darkness.

IMG_8107, Église de Saint-Germain-des-Prés, Paris

In addition, there was a giant cartoon maiden, in pink blue dress and silver shoes, standing in front of the moss-covered ancient building during my second trip to Paris in 2008, and the clashing contrast left an indelible impression. If it was not permanent, then it was quite a delight.

IMG_8092, Église de Saint-Germain-des-Prés, Paris IMG_8112, Église de Saint-Germain-des-Prés, Paris


My Favorite Museum Collection Series
>> My Favorite Museum Collection Series 79: To be continued
<< My Favorite Museum Collection Series 77: My Favorite Artworks in Panthéon, Paris

List of My Favorite Artworks in the Museums I've Visited  


Other Related posts on Art · 文化 · Kunst:
- My Favorite Paintings at Église Saint-Sulpice, Paris
- My Favorite Sculpture and Painting at Musée d'Art moderne de la Ville de Paris
- Basilica di San Petronio and San Domenico in Bologna
- My Favorite Sculptures in les Jardins du Ranelag, Paris
- Basilica Santuario Santo Stefano, Bologna
- My Favorite Sculpture and Painting at Church of Our Lady, Bruges
- Magnificent Churches in Vienna
 

No comments:

Post a Comment