Saturday, July 11, 2009

Where Was the Great Depression?

I saw movie Public Enemies last week and was impressed by the ensemble performance. However, it was not clear to me at all why John Dillinger became such a folklore hero (legend, yes). The absent element was the lacking of portrayal of the historic background. I had no sense that people were living in an economic depression. All the people were calm, composed, and serene, except for a brutal police investigator. Without that piece of information, I came away with puzzlement in my mind. The stature of the story and the movie diminished a bit.

Another squirming factor: the quiver rich music. The abundance of its emotional tugging cue took away much thunder from the utterances and facial acting of the actors. Most time, less really is more.

No comments:

Post a Comment