Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Song of Orpheus

I just finished a new painting - The Song of Orpheus. This painting was conceived when I read Rainer Maria Rilke's Die Sonette an Orpheus.

This is a dangerous ground I tread into. So many wonderful artworks were created after the Orpheus myth, from paintings to operas. Yet the lure of this myth and the reinterpretation by Rilke was so strong, I pressed ahead.

I see Orpheus as a means to bring joy to the world, through his quest for love and his suffering, and ultimately his death. I saw his lyre singing and I saw his bones being scattered into the highest sphere, as if his notes would crown heaven. Holy ointment burned in his skull, transformed into an oracle, rising up to dance with his ever higher notes. That's the Song of Orpheus.

The Song of Orpheus / 奧菲厄斯的歌 / Das Lied des Orpheus

No comments:

Post a Comment