Thursday, July 31, 2014

My Favorite Artifacts at Jüdisches (Jewish) Museum, Vienna

Jüdisches Museum Wien (Jewish Museum) in Vienna has many artifacts highlighting the past and present of Jewish culture in Austria.  When I visited the museum in 2012, I was astounded by the huge quantities of items they put on display, some beautiful, some ethereal, some kitschy, and some poignant.

I was particularly taken by artifacts emphasizing the folksy Jewish tradition and heritage, such as the two figurines in the picture below.  These two figures, in traditional eastern European Jewish attires, with their endearingly exaggerated open-arm gestures - a sort of Jewish self-parody, I hope - invited viewers to enter their now long-gone time and location specific sphere.

DSCN1670 _ Jüdisches Museum, 6 October

I was also very taken by the almost medieval-looking metal spice boxes, see picture below. I was particularly taken in by the far left one, which reminded me of a moving tent, or with a little more imagination, a knight errant in full armor, who ironically roamed the lands of Europe and the Middle East where many Jewish people, Muslims and Pagans constantly being threatened by sword and fire, and worse.  It was hard not to see violence and suffering even in these seemingly most innocuous objects.

DSCN1672 _ Jüdisches Museum, 6 October


My Favorite Museum Collection Series
>> My Favorite Museum Collection Series 88: My Favorite Artworks in the Mausoleum, Graz, Austria
<< My Favorite Museum Collection Series 86: My Favorite Artworks at Augustinerkirche, Vienna
List of My Favorite Artworks in the Museums I've Visited


Other Related posts on Art · 文化 · Kunst:
- Magnificent Churches in Vienna
- My Favorite Paintings at Akademie der bildenden Künste Wien
- My Favorite Paintings at Kunsthistorisches Museum, Wien (Vienna)
- Gustav Klimt and Egon Schiele in Wien (Vienna)
- Liaoning (Proving) Museum in Shenyang
- Basilica Santuario Santo Stefano, Bologna
- My Favorite Sculptures at Cimetière du Père-Lachaise, Paris
- My Favorite Sculptures in Cimetière de Montmartre, Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment