Friday, April 13, 2012

My Favorite Artworks at Cappelle Medicee, San Lorenzo, Firenze

After citing my favorite works at Palazzo Medici Riccardi, Firenze, the living quarter of the Medici family, now I'm ready to discuss my favorites in the place the Medici clan rested, the Medici Chapel, (Cappelle Medicee) in Basilica di San Lorenzo, Firenze.

Echoing to the simplistic yet beautiful drawing by Fra Filippo Lippi at Palazzo Medici Riccardi, I am most impressed by the wall drawing sketches made by the great Michelangelo, in a cellar direct below the better known Medici Chapel, with the marvelous sculptures for the Tomb of Lorenzo Duke of Urbino with the statues of Dawn and Dusk, and for the Tomb of Giuliano Duke of Nemours with the statues of Night and Day, all by Michelangelo.

Michelangelo made several large scaled quick sketches in the cellar, for the sculptures he was to execute.  The sketches, quick, liquid yet solid, were as close as we could to see the great master at work and for that reason alone, I was eternally grateful and happy to behold these, though unfinished, but undeniably powerful sketches.  Miracles!

Michelangelo Buonarroti's Sketch, Cappelle Medicee, Sacrestia Nuova, San Lorenzo, Firenze _ 0294 _ 500

After the rough, we came to the polish.  Amongst those above-mentioned sculptures, I'd choose the statue of Giuliano Duke of Nemours for my second favorite.  Seated, without helmet, Giuliano looked at the first Roman Emperor Augustus, though less bulky, less imposing and self-important.  This rather delicate youth, was full of surprising humility.  He looked really more like a musician, a follower of Apollo, than a military leader and statesman, who he had been groomed to be before his early death, despite the fanciful armor he wore, or perhaps because of it. Looking away from the gaze below, he refused to answer any probing questions.

Duke of Nemours, Michelangelo Buonarroti, Capelle medicce, Sacrestia Nuova, San Lorenzo, Firenze _ 0293 _ 500
Tomb of Giuliano Duke of Nemours



My Favorite Museum Collection Series

>> My Favorite Museum Collection Series 26: My Favorite Art Works at Santa Maria Novella, Firenze
<< My Favorite Museum Collection Series 24: My Favorite Works at Palazzo Medici Riccardi, Firenze, Italia



List of My Favorite Artworks in the Museums I've Visited

No comments:

Post a Comment