Wednesday, August 13, 2014

My Favorite Artworks in Schloss Eggenberg, Graz, Austria


DSCN8852 _ Schloss Eggenberg, Graz, 8 October

Schloss Eggenberg in Graz, Austria is a magnificent Baroque palace and in 2010 was included in the listing of UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Sites.  In 2012, when I made a brief stop at Graz, though I was not able to visit the museum housed inside the Schoss, Universalmuseum Joanneum, I was able to tour the building and its lovely garden ground.

DSCN8785 _ Schloss Eggenberg, Graz, 8 October

Though I couldn't go inside many marvelous rooms, I was able to see this wonderful triptych below through the window and though it was medieval in style, the coloration and rendering of its figures were reminiscent those of the great Jan van Eyck.

DSCN8795 _ Schloss Eggenberg, Graz, 8 October

My second favorite in the Schloss was a bearded figure with a heavy crown, a Kaiser, I assume, holding a model of a town with some effort, looking imploringly heavenwards.  A pious figure, seemingly suffered under the weight of his charges, almost pathetically tragic. Hard to forget.

DSCN8842 _ Schloss Eggenberg, Graz, 8 October


My Favorite Museum Collection Series
>> My Favorite Museum Collection Series 90: My Favorite Artworks in Kunsthaus, Graz, Austria
<< My Favorite Museum Collection Series 88: My Favorite Artworks in the Mausoleum, Graz, Austria

List of My Favorite Artworks in the Museums I've Visited


Other Related posts on Art · 文化 · Kunst:
- Boy With Frog Sculpture and Punta della Dogana, Venice
- My Favorite Paintings at Akademie der bildenden Künste Wien
- My Favorite Sculptures at Cimetière du Père-Lachaise, Paris
- Famed Terracotta Warriors and Their Intriguing Successors
- Paintings from Imperial Palace Museum, Shenyang, China
- Ziyan Lavender Manor Garden, Shenyang China
- A Day at Palace of Fine Arts & Crissy Field in San Francisco

No comments:

Post a Comment