Monday, December 1, 2014

My Favorite Reliefs in Franziskanerkirche, Graz


DSCN8668 _ Franziskaner Kirche, Graz, 8 October

DSCN8670 _ Franziskaner Kirche, Graz, 8 October DSClN8675 _ Franziskaner Kirche, Graz, 8 October

The Franziskanerkirche in Graz was visually pleasing in its simplicity, befitting to its name; even its many multiple-colored stained glass windows didn't distract from its purifying sparseness.

DSCN8674 _ Franziskaner Kirche, Graz, 8 October

In that rather somber and scantly decorated space, what I found most striking was a small format relief cycle on the life of Jesus.  These emotionally charged reliefs were as simply and economically delineated as the church itself - terse, understated, and never showy or ostentatious.

DSCN8672 _ Franziskaner Kirche, Graz, 8 October

Amongst this cycle, I found these two pieces below were most exemplary - The Nailing of Jesus to the Cross and The Resurrection:

DSCN8672(m) _ Franziskaner Kirche, Graz, 8 October
The Nailing of Jesus to the Cross

DSCN8678 _ Franziskaner Kirche, Graz, 8 October
Resurrection

The interplay and dialogues between the reliefs consisted of monochromatic and line drawing-like figures and the flat and light maroon tinted background, helped to create a somber and sanctified atmosphere and classic timelessness.  The drama was not diminished when the wrenching and emotional scenes were not presented in some obvious and overwrought styles; rather, the constraints of the execution of these reliefs enhanced their emotional impact.


My Favorite Museum Collection Series
>> My Favorite Museum Collection Series 98:  My Favorite Artworks in Palazzo Ducale, Venezia (Doge Palace, Venice)
<< My Favorite Museum Collection Series 96: My Favorite Altar and Fresco at Barmherzigenkirche, Graz

List of My Favorite Artworks in the Museums I've Visited

Other Related posts on Art · 文化 · Kunst:
- My Favorite Sculptures at Stephansdom (St. Stephen's Cathedral), Vienna
- Boy With Frog Sculpture and Punta della Dogana, Venice
- Getty Villa in Los Angeles (Malibu)
- My Favorite Sculptures in les Jardins du Ranelag, Paris
- My Favorite Artworks in Panthéon, Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment