Friday, April 10, 2009

Going to Shenyang, China

I'm going to fly to my home city Shenyang (沈阳; pinyin: Shěnyáng), China tomorrow. Alas, it would not be a sight-seeing tour. Shenyang, for all its long history, boasts neither historical or artistic importance, nor natural wonders or beauty. For all its bleakness and ugliness, it was the place I was born and where I grew up, therefore, I inherited a certain toughness and unsentimentality, plus decidedly lacking of sense of humor, something native Americans hold dear.

That said, Shenyang does have an early Qing dynasty palace listed as World Cultural Heritage and a neolithic relic site - Xinle Relic Museum (新乐遗址博物馆), which perhaps I should have visited before - maybe I will this time, if my family and dear aunts could spare my time.


No comments:

Post a Comment