Sunday, May 20, 2012

My Favorite Paintings from Musée Picasso, Paris

On the busiest day of my first trip to Paris, I "raided" five museums and was only able to visit four of them, since the fifth was closed for renovation.  One of those five museums was Musée national Picasso Paris, inside the Hotel Salé, located in the Marais, one of the historic districts of Paris.

There were works from many periods of Picasso's long career in the museum.  Being partial to his more figurative works, my top choices went to his portrait and his figurative paintings.  My top choice was a portrait, named "Olga pensive", which was marvelously understated, yet charged with inner tension, manifested by the angular angles formed by his bent head and arms.  The outline of the figure, particularly her left arm, was fluid, eloquent and engaging.  Her pale skin, setting off her maroon hair and the deep blue dress dramatically.  I also liked the way Picasso cast the shadows on the sitter's arms, neck and chin - gently gradated, and beautifully textured.

Olga pensive, 1923, 1933 - Pablo Picasso, Musée national Picasso, Paris
Olga pensive, 1923, 1933

The second piece was a dramatic curtain he designed for Diaghilev Ballet Russes.  It showcased two monumental women, with impossibly round and strong limbs and torsos, running in the most excited fashion and in impossibly wonderful poses.  I loved the sheer immensity of the figures and the weight they carried about.  They were the primal goddesses, the essence of the existence of the earth and the human race.


Deux femmes courant sur la plage (La course), (Two Women Running on the Beach (The Race)) 1922 (été)


My Favorite Museum Collection Series 

>> My Favorite Museum Collection Series 34: My Favorite Sculptures at Cimetière du Père-Lachaise, Paris
<< My Favorite Museum Collection Series 32: My Favorite Sculptures at Musée Rodin, Paris


List of My Favorite Artworks in the Museums I've Visited

1 comment:

  1. hello mathew!
    go to badfishstudiosartblog@blogspot.com for my recent blog post-"Mathew Felix Sun has a remarkable ability to see into the heart and soul of my work and translate my intentions when making a painting into a language all can understand. I am grateful to share this common tongue with him."

    Mathew: I invite you to visit Nieto Fine Art and review my Solo Exhibition or the Gallery itself for Artslant. I would also like to meet with you and give you a signed copy of my book in which I quoted you.Please forgive the obvious gaffe of printing your words without first asking your permission.as a single mother of a 4 year old its all I can do to remember to comb my hair. My oversight was nothing more than an overworked mom doing the very best she could. I do want to thank you profusely for your understanding of my art.
    Warmly georgianne 415 368 1620

    ReplyDelete