Wednesday, September 5, 2012

What Makes A Good Artist

I've been thinking about the fundamental question - what makes a good artist.  The more I think about it, the less I confine myself in the domain of visual art world.  Rather, I cast my eyes far afield. 

I believe that the best instrumentalists make their instruments sing, while the best vocalists sound like instruments.

Similarly, great writers present their stories with the vividness of detailed paintings and the best artists gave us pictures with the depth and complexity of narrative or philosophical novels.

A simply pretty painting or drawing is pleasing but would lose its charm rapidly.  Only rich feelings and deep thoughts it contains, implies, reveals or hides could sustain enduring interest.

Even abstract works ought to tell stories and the best do.

No comments:

Post a Comment