Friday, February 19, 2016

My Favorite Sculptures at Musei Civici degli Eremitani, Padova (Padua)


DSCN0727 _ Musei Civici degli Eremitani, Padova, 12 October

Musei Civici degli Eremitani, (Museo Archeologico e del Museo d'Arte Medievale e Moderna) in the ancient Italian city Padua impressed me, especially many artifacts from their Archaeological Department.

I was most taken by small a bronze sculpture of a winged foot for its elegant shape in an assertive yet delicate style and the absence of the rest of the body made this piece more intriguing and unforgettable.

DSCN0725 _ Musei Civici degli Eremitani, Padova, 12 October

My second favorite was a stone sculpture of a squatting bird-woman. Comparing the he sleek foot above, this one looked quite primitive, with its rough finish and the ungainly posture of the person/beast.  If that foot belonged to a polished Roman god, this humble yet assured stone figure was the primordial earthy Sphinx. In reality, this figure might be a torso of an ordinary man but I would like to think it as the mythical Sphinx.

DSCN0723 _ Musei Civici degli Eremitani, Padova, 12 October


My Favorite Museum Collection Series
>> My Favorite Museum Collection Series 111: My Favorite Frescos at Cappella degli Scrovegni and Musei Civici degli Eremitani in Padova (Padua)
<< My Favorite Museum Collection Series 109: My Favoritate Artwork at Ca' Pesaro, Venezia (Venice), Italy

List of My Favorite Artworks in the Museums I've Visited

Other Related posts on Art · 文化 · Kunst:
- Famed Palaces and Houses (Ca') in Venice
- Two Museums in Venice - Gallerie dell'Accademia & Collezione Peggy Guggenheim
- Magical Piazza San Marco in Venice
- Liaoning (Proving) Museum in Shenyang
- Last Chance to See Terracotta Warriors in San Francisco Asian Art Museum
- Blanton Museum of Art, The University of Texas at Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment