Saturday, October 16, 2010

Art in Subway Station, New York City

The "Three Heads, Six Arms" sculpture in San Francisco reminded me of an art show I saw last month in New York's subway 14th Street-8th Avenue station.  In the austere station, there were quite a few whimsical bronze sculptures, big and small, scattered on both sides of the platforms.

New York Subway 11 September 2010 _8118

Scultpure by Tom Otterness, New York Subway 10 September 2010 _7791

From distance, they made the platform like a surreal cartoon movie set. Observing up and close, these figures and objects were quite characteristic and almost real. They were apparently very popular and I was not the only person who snapped pictures.

Sculpture by Tom Otterness, New York Subway 10 September 2010 _7788

Sculpture by Tom Otterness, New York Subway 10 September 2010 _7792

Sculpture by Tom Otterness, New York Subway 10 September 2010 _7796

Sculpture by Tom Otterness, New York Subway 10 September 2010 _7795

Sculpture by 
Tom Otterness, New York Subway 10 September 2010 _7789

At the end, I found the credit and the title of this group - Life Underground, by Tom Otterness.  Further research revealed that these are permanent public art and had a common theme of implied criminality mixed with an undercurrent of social anarchy, despite their cuteness.

Sculpture by Tom Otterness, New York Subway 10 September 2010 _7794

In spite of the often deceptive small scale of individual piece, the entire project took ten years from commissioning to the final completion of the installation.  Quite a feat.  I truly appreciate efforts to bring art and the masses together.  Unfortunately, my media would not allow me such undertaking.  Am I living in the wrong time and working with the wrong materials?  I had to wonder.  Yet, however I wonder, I will continue.

>> New York City Report, September 2010, Part XVI: Liao Yibai: Real Fake - Mike Weiss Gallery, New York City 
<<
New York City Report, September 2010, Part XIV: Neue Galerie New York - Austrian and German Art Gallary

No comments:

Post a Comment