Sunday, July 24, 2016

My Favorite Artworks at Basilica Santuario Santo Stefano, Bologna


DSCN4989 _ Basilica Santuario Santo Stefano, Bologna, 18 October

DSCN4979 _ Basilica Santuario Santo Stefano, Bologna

Basilica Santuario Santo Stefano, the oldest church in Bologna, was very atmospherically evocative and romantic, and the many unique artefacts in its often darkish chambers added much allure. 

The artwork left the strongest impression on me was a small plate of relief on the exterior of its nave, featuring three primitive looking figures with haloed heads resembling astronauts' in headgear, and  stiffly raised hands sending signals of warning or blessing. The central figure, the only seated one, held a commanding upright staff with a cross top, which dissected the plate into two uneven parts, lending some dynamism to this restrained tableau. These rigid figures, perhaps Jesus and his disciples, in their strange garbs, along with their enormous and somewhat stunned eyes, formed a society beyond our worldly reach.

DSCN4976 _ Basilica Santuario Santo Stefano, Bologna, 18 October

My second favorite was a fresco painting of some wild or domestic animals accented with some scrolls, like an early day almanac, whose pale inviting atmosphere, coloration, and the wonderful sense of continuity and unity were particularly appealing.

DSCN4957 _ Basilica Santuario Santo Stefano, Bologna, 18 October


My Favorite Museum Collection Series
>> My Favorite Museum Collection Series 121: My Favorite Paintings at Palazzo D'Accursio (Palazzo Comunale), Bologna
<< My Favorite Museum Collection Series 119: My Favorite Monuments at Il palazzo dell'Archiginnasio, Bologna

List of My Favorite Artworks in the Museums I've Visited

Other Related posts on Art · 文化 · Kunst:
- Basilica Santuario Santo Stefano, Bologna
- My Favorite Artworks at Palazzo della Ragione, Padova (Padua), Italy
- My Favorite Altar and Fresco at Barmherzigenkirche, Graz
- My Favorite Paintings at Basilica di Sant'Antonio, Padova (Padua), Italy
- My Favorite Artworks at Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute, Venezia
- My Favorite Frescoes at Santa Croce, Firenze
- My Favorite Artworks in San Pietro in Vincoli (Saint Peter in Chains), Roma

No comments:

Post a Comment