Sunday, July 31, 2016

My Favorite Artworks at Duomo in Ferrara, Italy

My brief excursion from Bologna to Ferrara led me to the wonderful Duomo, whose distinct façade of triple gables immediately brought me to a purified world of classicism.

DSCN3750 _ Cattedrale di San Giorgio (Duomo), Ferrara, 17 October

DSCN3748 _ Cattedrale di San Giorgio (Duomo), Ferrara, 17 October

True to the expectation, my favorite sculpture inside was a sculpture of a bishop (and a saint?) standing in a niche with minimal decoration.  The most striking feature was the resolute and clean lines of the soaring figure, reminiscent the works of the great Bernini, such as his masterpiece of "Ecstasy of Saint Teresa", though much less florid and baroque.

DSCN3714 _ Cattedrale di San Giorgio (Duomo), Ferrara, 17 October

I also really liked a fresco of Saint Michael of similar narrow shape. The interplay of ethereally pale blue and pink hues was wonderfully subtle and satisfying, forming and contrasting the saint, who, even engaged in battle, never lost his balance and grace.  Utterly enchanting.

DSCN3730 _ Cattedrale di San Giorgio (Duomo), Ferrara, 17 October


My Favorite Museum Collection Series
>> My Favorite Museum Collection Series 123: My Favorite Sculptures at Palazzo Municipale in Ferrara, Italy
<< My Favorite Museum Collection Series 121: My Favorite Paintings at Palazzo D'Accursio (Palazzo Comunale), Bologna

List of My Favorite Artworks in the Museums I've Visited

Other Related posts on Art · 文化 · Kunst:
- Castello Estense, Palazzo Municipale and Duomo in Ferrara
- My Favorite Artworks at Duomo, Padova (Padua), Italy
- My Favorite Sculptures at Museo dell'Opera del Duomo (Florence)
- My Favorite Paintings at Battistero, Padova (Padua), Italy
- My Favorite Works at Palazzo Medici Riccardi, Firenze, Italia
- My Favorite Reliefs in Franziskanerkirche, Graz

No comments:

Post a Comment