Wednesday, July 27, 2016

My Favorite Paintings at Palazzo D'Accursio (Palazzo Comunale), Bologna


DSCN5049 _ Palazzo Comunale, Piazza Maggiore, Bologna, 18 October

The Palazzo D'Accursio (Palazzo Comunale) in Bologna hosted a large museum with amazing art collections.  Among numerous interesting works, I found two portraits most engaging.

One was "Ritratto di vecchino (Portrait of an Old Man)" by Jacopo Robusti, known as Tintoretto.  This portrait presented a robust old man with a striking set of abundant white beard, contrasting and echoing the black cap atop his broad forehead.  The unwavering, penetrating, yet not-unkind gaze of this old man told all we needed to know about this steadfast character - a general? a statesman? or a successful seafaring merchant?  Whoever he might have been, he commanded our respect. A sliver of outside world at the edge of the painting indicated his adventures beyond the serenity of old age.

DSCN4722 _ Ritratto di vecchino, Jacopo Robusti, detto il Tistoretto, Palazzo D'Accursio (Palazzo Comunale), Bologna, 18 October
Ritratto di vecchino, Jacopo Robusti, detto il Tintoretto (1518-1594)

My second favorite was "Suntto per la testa di Gian Galeazzo (Sketch of the Head of Gian Galeazzo)" by Bologna's native son, Pelagio Palagi, whose fluid rendition of the melancholic young man captured his intelligence and sensitivity tenderly and economically. Even in this perhaps unfinished state, this portrait was just as full-bodies as any extra layers of paints and varnish could provide.

DSCN4750 _ Suntto per la testa di Gian Galeazzo, Pelagio Palagi, Palazzo D'Accursio (Palazzo Comunale), Bologna, 18 October
Suntto per la testa di Gian Galeazzo, Pelagio Palagi (1775-1860)


My Favorite Museum Collection Series
>> My Favorite Museum Collection Series 122: My Favorite Artworks at Duomo in Ferrara, Italy
<< My Favorite Museum Collection Series 120: My Favorite Artworks at Basilica Santuario Santo Stefano, Bologna


List of My Favorite Artworks in the Museums I've Visited

Other Related posts on Art · 文化 · Kunst:
- Palazzo D'Accursio (Palazzo Comunale), Bologna
- My Favorite Artworks in Palazzo Ducale, Venezia (Doge Palace, Venice)
- My Favorite Artworks at Palazzo della Ragione, Padova (Padua), Italy
- Il palazzo dell'Archiginnasio, Bologna
- My Favorite Works at Palazzo Medici Riccardi, Firenze, Italia
- My Favorite Paintings at Battistero, Padova (Padua), Italy

No comments:

Post a Comment