Sunday, August 24, 2014

My Favorite Paintings at Neue Galerie, Graz, Austria

The other important museum I visited in Graz, besides Kunsthaus, was Neue Galerie, which housed many important Austrian art.

DSCN9534 _ Neue Galerie, Graz, 9 October

DSCN9528 _ Neue Galerie, Graz, 9 October

My favorite painting there was, again, by Egon Schiele (1890, Tulln an der Donau, Austria - 1918, Vienna),  titled Stadtende (Häuserbogen III) (City End, Houses Arc III). It depicted a jumble of houses in various shades and shapes and the whole composition was quite dynamic, full of contrast and movements. Despite the many colors employed by the artist, the painting was also very harmonious, predominately in various shades of gray, accented by stripes and patches of brilliant blue, red, and green colors.  It was a lovely painting, beautiful, a bit unsettling and menacing, mainly due to some very angular and irregular outlines of those houses.

DSCN9492 _ Stadtende (Häuserbogen III), um 1917, Egon Schiele, Neue Galerie, Graz
Stadtende (Häuserbogen III), um 1917, Egon Schiele

My second favorite piece was by a Graz artist, Axl Leskoschek (1889, Graz -1976, Wien), Der Doppelgänger (The Double).  It was a somewhat spooky painting, monochromatic and enigmatic.  It featured actually not two, but three figures - the doubles and an image reflection in a mirror, looking out of the frame, as if mocking at the live two, in their fancifully dinner jackets, with intriguing postures and facial express warranted endless interpretations.  It was an unforgettable piece.

DSCN9485 _ Der Doppelgänger, 1945, Axl Leskoschek, Neue Galerie, Graz, 9 October
Der Doppelgänger, 1945, Axl Leskoschek (1889, Graz -1976, Wien)

My Favorite Museum Collection Series
>> My Favorite Museum Collection Series 92: My Favorite Sculptures at Institut für Klassische Archäologie, Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz
<< My Favorite Museum Collection Series 90: My Favorite Artworks in Kunsthaus, Graz, Austria

List of My Favorite Artworks in the Museums I've Visited


Other Related posts on Art · 文化 · Kunst:
- Angelic and Evil - Bunkerei and Palais Augarten in Augarten, Vienna
- My Favorite Paintings at Galleria dell'Accademia, Venezia (Venice Academy)
- My Favorite Paintings at Akademie der bildenden Künste Wien
- My Featured Work - Portrait Painting "Grandma" 
- LACMA - Los Angeles County Museum of Art

No comments:

Post a Comment