Wednesday, September 21, 2016

My Favorite Sculptures at Terracotta Army Site, Xi'an

The famed Terracotta Army of the First Emperor of Qin Dynasty in China impressed not only with the sheer numbers of those soldiers, generals and horses, but upon close inspection, the endless variations of those individuals, each one of them seemed to have a distinct look and personalities, a far cry from cookie cutter mass production one might have suspected.

IMG_4944 - Terracotta Warriors in Qin Shi Huang's Tomb, Xi'an, China, 2007

IMG_4968 - Terracotta Warriors in Qin Shi Huang's Tomb, Xi'an, China, 2007

The most impressive was a Standing Archer - whose stylized yet naturalistic posture and his impassive face emitted an aura of zen, strange for a soldier. Also noteworthy was the plain but delicate face of this calm soldier.

Terracotta Warriors in Qin Shi Huang's Tomb, Xi'an, China, 2007 _ IMG_4002

I also love the horses "enlisted" in the army.  They were absolutely sleek and beautiful.  These beasts couldn't be nobler.

Terracotta Warriors in Qin Shi Huang's Tomb, Xi'an, China, 2007 _ IMG_4996_mod

IMG_5048 - Terracotta Horses in Qin Shi Huang's Tomb, Xi'an, China, 2007

My Favorite Museum Collection Series
>> My Favorite Museum Collection Series 135: My Favoritate Bronze Artifacts at Shaanxi History Museum, Xi'an, China
<< My Favorite Museum Collection Series 133: My Favorite Earthenware Artifacts in Banpo Archaeological Site Museum, Xi'an, China

List of My Favorite Artworks in the Museums I've Visited

Other Related posts on Art · 文化 · Kunst:
- Last Chance to See Terracotta Warriors in San Francisco Asian Art Museum
- Ruins in Sanxingdui (Three-Star Mound) and Jinsha (Gold Sands), Sichuan, China
- Treasure in Liaoning Museum, Shenyang, China
- Art Gallery of Luxun Art Academy in Shenyang, China
- Visiting Four Universities in Austria and Italy
- Sunflower Seeds by Ai Weiwei at Tate Modern, London
- My Favorite Sculptures at Institut für Klassische Archäologie, Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz
- My Favorite Sculptures at Musei Civici degli Eremitani, Padova (Padua)

No comments:

Post a Comment